The rich and colorful history Samana began as a Taino domain, centuries before the arrival of Columbus in 1493.
The seaside town of Samaná was founded in 1756 by Spanish families and in 1802 was invaded by the French fleet of Napoleon Bonaparte with instructions of being the colony capital, with the name of Napoleon City.
French settlers who fled from Haiti joined the Spanish in the development of plantations of sugarcane, coffee, cocoa and coconut.
The formation of the racial melting pot migration continued in 1824 with the arrival of 300 families of freed slaves from the United States, through agreements with the African Methodist Episcopal Church in America.
In the early 20th century, the United States were involved in several negotiations to lease the Peninsula.
Samaná has been an important part of the history of the Dominican Republic and to contribute to tourism development in the country as one of the leaders of the Caribbean region and the world.